The Mold Designer is responsible for designing injection molds to produce molded products and to meet customer specifications and deadlines.
- Work directly with customers to determine design criteria and tool requirements.
- Suggest improvements to product design for manufacturability or end use requirements.
- Concept, design, and detailing of molds and engineering changes.
- Conduct internal and external design reviews.
- Verify accuracy of design work.
- Manage engineering data on the manufacturing floor until construction is complete.
- Order raw materials, stock components, and custom components after reviewing competitive quotes to ensure optimum balance of cost, quality, and delivery.
- Support manufacturing department by obtaining missing information, supplying electronic design data, and communicating design intent, fit, and function requirements.
- Maintain engineering legacy data.
- Troubleshoot and correct molded part defects and out of tolerance issues.
- Other responsibilities as directed by the Engineering Manager.
Education and/or Experience
- Bachelor’s degree in industrial engineering, mechanical engineering or related field, or equivalent mold design experience.
- 5 years of production and/or engineering experience.
- Knowledge of injection mold design and manufacturing processes.
- Knowledge of injection mold processing and production related activities.
- Knowledge of standard drafting practices.
- Ability to proficiently operate both 2D and 3D CAD software (Pro/Engineer, Solidworks, Cadmax, etc…).
- Ability to accurately complete tasks as specified and on time in a rapidly changing work environment.
- Excellent organizational and time management skills.
- Basic computer skills (Microsoft Office, Windows, IQMS, etc…).
- Strong technical skills including ability to read and understand a print, and ability to inspect and detect visual defects.
- High level general learning ability; high verbal, numeric and spatial aptitudes; and high form perception.
- Ability to define and resolve practical problems.
- Ability to make sound judgments and decisions.
- Ability to work well independently, as well as in a team environment.
- Ability to communicate effectively with teammates, customers, and outside vendors.
- Ability to maintain a positive attitude and a high work ethic.
- Capable of completing job duties in a highly professional and confidential manner.